The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will be performing valve replacement and diving at the Great Bridge Lock, located in Chesapeake, Virginia, starting on March 20, 2019 and concluding on approximately June 7, 2019.
1) On March 20, 2019, the removal of the existing cofferdam on the northeast end of the lock wall will take place; the lock will be closed from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
2) Between March 25, 2019 and March 28, 2019, divers will be installing hardware on the south west end of the lock for the cofferdam installation. Lock will be closed from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM during these 4 days.
3) On April 10, 2019 and April 11, 2019, the installation of a cofferdam on the south west end of the lock wall will occur. The lock will be closed from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM on both days.
4) From April 15, 2019 to approximately June 7, 2019, a crew will be working on the removal and installation of the replacement valves 7 days per week. During this time period, there will be occasional delays to navigation to provide crane support in the lock.
5) The removal of the cofferdam will take place in June, and the exact time and closure will be issued in a separated Notice. The horizontal clearance of the lock will be limited to 70 feet during these repairs. Vessels shall provide a large berth to the work area that will be marked with a yellow safety beam on the lock wall.
Those planning to use this route can contact the Great Bridge Lock operator at 757-547-3311 or the Norfolk District office at 757-201-7642 Chart 12206